Thursday, May 26, 2011

Simple Goodness at A & J Restaurant

OH MY GOD. I just realized as I was uploading this picture... that I actually frequent this place back home (Arcadia branch). I never realized until JUST NOW that it's the same place as the one I frequent in Irvine. WOWWWW. Ok. So. THIS PLACE IS GOOD. LEGITIMATE. For today's post, I am going to focus on the Irvine branch.

The plaza it's located is very nice, but I guess my only complaint is that the parking lot is pretty scattered and I feel like it would be easy to get into car accidents there. Anyway, the actual restaurant is not hard to find, and is quite spacious inside. We were quickly seated, and given menus. While the menu was in both Chinese and English, my friend Satoko and I had trouble ordering, because the separate ordering sheet was only in Chinese. But that didn't stay a problem, as we just told the waitress when we came what we wanted. They waiters all speak good English, so no problems with ordering!

While Satoko ordered Zha Jiang Mian (dry noodles with meat & bean sauce and veggies), I ordered Dan Dan Mian (spicy Sichuan noodles with sesame paste). I usually order the Zha Jiang Mian, which is absolutely delicious, and healthily balanced with protein and vegetables. Today I decided to switch it up to Dan Dan mian, and was happy that I did so. The sesame paste kept the dish from being overpowered by the spicy oils, and so it wasn't that spicy at all! I don't know about you, but that's good for me because I am very bad with spicy foods. We both had the option of either thick or thin noodles, and chose the thick ones! Anyway, I like that the servings were of good size, and good quality. The noodles are perfectly chewy, soft, and fresh.
Zha Jiang Mian from A & J Restaurant.
Dan Dan Mian from A & J Restaurant.
I love that the flavors are kept really simple, and similar to True Food Kitchen, the food is pretty light, so I didn't feel weighted down after dinner. But the best part of the meal, apart from how delicious it was, was the bill. I definitely recommend this to those who are on a tight budget, but still want to get the best deal for food!

A & J Restaurant

14805 Jeffrey Rd, Ste D
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 786-3585

As a side note, my friend Kirhan is guest-blogging on Matcha & Pavlova. Please keep checking in to my blog and stay tuned for his post. GET EXCITED.

No comments:

Post a Comment