Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dip's Grill: Quick and Tasty!

Last night for dinner, my brother took my sister and I to Dip's Grill in Alhambra. Due to some minor editing difficulties, I wasn't able to get this post up until today. Anyway, originally, my siblings and I were planning on going to eat clay pot rice, but because we were all running late, my brother suggested this small restaurant in the nook of a plaza on Valley Blvd. The interior looked very hip, with black wooden floors, black tables, and black chairs/booths. Not to mention, most of the people eating there were of a younger crowd.

The menu had some pretty interesting items, but my brother gave out a few recommendations on what was good there so we just ordered what he said. My sister and I both got the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup, while my brother ordered the Spicy Spaghetti. BUT, the main attraction of the night was the Pork Belly Buns we ordered as an appetizer.
Pork Belly Buns from Dip's Grill.
Look familiar? I think this dish is a very interesting take on the traditional Peking Duck. The bun is the same kind, and like the Peking Duck, there are also scallions. What's different about this dish is that, as the name suggests, instead of duck, the meat in the middle is a thick piece of pork belly. Yummy! Also, there is no dipping sauce that usually comes with it, and there is also a bit of lettuce inside. I think I won't be able to help myself and will keep on ordering this every time I come back to Dip's Grill.

Now back to the main dishes... My brother recommended the Spicy Beef Noodle Soup saying that it wasn't actually that spicy, so being the trusting sister that I always am (ha ha ha), I ordered it. I was instantly shocked by how it looked like when it arrived:
Spicy Beef Noodle Soup from Dip's Grill.
It's RED and it kind of reminds me of the Sichuan Spicy Fish that my sister and I used to always eat (and believe me, that stuff is S-P-I-C-Y). I was a little worried at first, but I couldn't just send it back and order something else, so I tried it. It's actually not that bad, though a little more spicy than my brother portrayed it. I think on a scale of mild to super spicy, it ranks on a medium level. Forgetting the spice though, I really enjoyed the dish. The noodles are really good, and not the usual kind that you get everywhere I don't think. The beef was tender as well. So overall, this dish is a win!

My brother also let me try some of his Spicy Spaghetti. According to him, it's incredibly spicy. Again, as with the noodle soup, I thought this was inaccurate. It does taste a bit spicier than the noodle soup, but nothing extravagantly spicy. Although, I only had one bite. I'm assuming that the taste strengthens with time...
Spicy Spaghetti from Dip's Grill.
As with most of the other places I blog about, I recommend Dip's Grill as well! The service is super fast (as you might be able to tell by the title), which was good because my brother was starving. Also, I liked that the drinks were in plastic, takeaway cups, because I never finish my drinks by the end of the meal. However, their iced lemon tea is nothing to boast about. It's super concentrated, and tastes very artificial, but I feel like many similar style restaurants' iced teas taste about the same. No big deal.

I feel like I haven't been to a restaurant with amazing drinks (in addition to amazing food) in a while other than True Food Kitchen. If anyone has any recommendations in this aspect, please send them my way! :)

(P.S. Thanks for the recent influx of comments! I have been reading every one of them~)

Dip's Grill
1412 E Valley Blvd
Alhambra, CA 91801
(626) 284-3477

No comments:

Post a Comment